Tuesday, November 4, 2008

a little monkey, a little democracy




We skipped town Friday night to surprise Lena's grammie and great-grandparents with her trick-or-treating little monkey self, with the added bonus of vegging in their sleepy seaside town on Saturday and Sunday. They live up in Morro Bay where the big news right now is the new traffic circle under construction by Hwy 1. It was a lovely visit, and I broke my no-drinking no-sweets rule to celebrate. (Sit me down on an afternoon off with the Sunday crossword, a view of the Pacific, and a glass of port, and tell me not to indulge. Go ahead and try!)

Too bad that after all that relaxing I came back to emails and Facebook notes from friends and family hyped up about the election. - the election, and, more specifically, the fact that I no longer vote the way they do.

I have ZERO desire to get into it here, after I've now explained myself in writing a minimum of eight times in the last 36 hours, but I am a Christian democrat who was raised to belief that such a thing was a logistical impossibility. Let me tell you what a not fun position it is to be in.

So I am tired, and disappointed, and a little hurt, but it has not been all bad. I had one family member and two friends really, you know, reach across the aisle the last couple of days, and I tried to let them know how much that meant (and means!) to me.

And early this morning we walked in the cool waking sunshine along still-wet leaf-covered sidewalks to our neighborhood polling place, and I cannot fully express how exciting it was to mark that little dot next to Obama's name. I actually got a thrill, and left feeling so proud. Now Lena is prancing around the house in her "That One '08" t-shirt and "I Voted!" sticker to keep me encouraged. We've watched, researched, prayed, and done what we felt was right. We tried to mend fences with family. And now we're waiting and seeing.

Please vote today, for whomever you choose. Please be kind to your friends and family who disagree with you. Because this is how America works.




1 comment:

Nean said...

Amen, Sister! <3 at ya!