Monday, August 3, 2009

first day

Maybe this won't be any sort of earth-shattering news to you, but for me it's a different story: I am typing this post from home. Alone.

Lena started preschool today. We signed her up for the least amount of time possible - just three mornings a week. And honest-to-goodness the reason we did it was because she seemed to really need it. I know, I know, she's not even two, yet. But last week she learned to count to TWELVE, and is currently practicing that pesky ol' "13." She's also very into letters, telling us the other day that the letters on the stop sign were "P, S, O, T!"

My head, I catch it exploding every twenty minutes or so around this kid. (We'll worry about dyslexia later.)

As you can imagine, we're so excited to see her so eager to learn, and sopping up every bit of information she can get her hands on, but we're already having a hard time keeping up. Because man, oh man, she is excited about these things ALL DAY LONG. And it's clear to us that she's ready for a level of socialization that we just can't provide at home. I mean, Elmo, Abby, Dora, & Boots have all be excellent best friends, but every once in a while mommy would like to catch up with her friends, Ellen, Jon, and Don Draper.

Ha. That was a joke. Mostly.

So, after a week of anxiety dreams on my part, the first day of preschool finally arrived this morning. I left as Lena stuck her little hands into a giant lump of playdough for the first time, happy as can be, and came home to a very quiet, very empty house.

Oh, hello, time to myself.


We believe, all around, that this will be a good transition. And I believe that I will be the only one who has some uneasiness with the change. But here I am, sitting at a desk that has been cleared off and made ready for any number of possibilities, a little music playing for some inspiration, or maybe rather for courage...

I'm excited for all of us.

No comments: