Monday, August 8, 2011

family time


It's been a while, hasn't it? And although much of my absence is due to a wonderful, crazy, and incredibly tiring summer of too much traveling, that isn't really what interrupted my blogging.

A few days after my last post, my mom called to tell me that my brother and sister-in-law were heading to the hospital to deliver their first baby. It was a bit early, and we were a little concerned, but not terribly. However, the next few days and weeks were just, well, devastating. My nephew was born, but with so many complications that we didn't know how long he would be with us, and truthfully, we still don't. The girls and I hopped on a plane the following week in order to be there, to meet him, and to help (though I'm not sure I was exactly any help, with two toddlers in tow), and we've been traveling somewhere every three weeks ever since.

I think my nephew's unexpectedly fragile state is the hardest thing my family has ever dealt with, although the heaviest burden is, of course, on my brother and his wife. They are amazing, and I pray for joy in their lives, and rest. I only wish I knew better how to help from so far away.

Big, personal life events are not my forte when it comes to blogging. The last two extended blogging breaks I took came after I found out I was pregnant, and I didn't know how to be truthful here without sharing what was really on my mind during the weeks I still hoped to keep the news a secret. I'll have to work on that. I really don't want to take another break for some time.

More about my summer soon, I hope. Because as always, it just feels good to write.

No comments: