Tuesday, August 9, 2011

first, let's establish the latest crazy.


I want to tell you where I've been all summer, and I plan to, but first I want to write about what I've been eating. Not because I hope to torture you with a lot of diet blah blah, but because I think I need a little help along the way, and I'm hoping that writing about it will help. Also, Jimmy said I had to. So there's that.

It might be so overdue, but it's only been in the last few weeks that I've felt capable of spending some time getting myself in order. Evie didn't bother to try to sleep through the night at all until she was ten months old, which happened last February. I then spent the next few weeks in a different sort of daze, one that was the result of trying to convince my body that sleep was actually GOOD for it, a surprising task given that I'd spent the previous year in a regular-ol' normal sleep deprived daze. Yes, the previous YEAR. If you can sleep during the last two months of your pregnancy, more power to you. Also, thppppt!

Anyway, in March the girls and I flew to St. Louis to visit my family, because we missed them. Three weeks later my mom flew out to visit us in LA for Evie's first birthday. Three weeks after that, the girls and I rushed back onto a plane for St. Louis in a sprint to see my new nephew. And we commenced traveling every three weeks after that until, oh, two weeks ago. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. There may have been some joking about setting my suitcase on fire by the end of summer. And I may possibly have been not joking. Or maybe just a little bit not joking.

Ugh. Suitcase.

Most of those trips were to visit family (whom we love, and whom we loved to see. Not joking!) So, most of those trips involved an absurd amount of eating. And if it was Jimmy's family, also drinking. (Hey, his family is Italian, so, obviously. Mine is southern/midwestern. We just like to cover everything in margarine.) (Which always tastes so delicious, Mom. Don't get me wrong!)

Needless to say, my body has needed some serious attention.

After working out every day for a whole TWO WEEKS in July. I KNOW! And losing nothing! (Do you hear me, Jillian Michaels??) I may have gotten a little frustrated, which I believe my husband found, well, amusing. But when I thought about it, I realized the last time I'd managed to lose anything was when I'd cut sugar from my diet, a tough but highly successful experiment that might have done me a world a good had we not all come down with a lovely preschool stomach flu virus three weeks later. And oh, boy, do you want to lose some weight? Because Preschool Stomach Flu Virus will totally help you out with that. In no time.

So I decided to cut sugar out again, for a month, to see if that would help, and to see if that would re-wire my seriously sugar-addicted brain. Also, for good measure, I decided to drop alcohol for a month. Because our last trip? Basically a party weekend with Jimmy's family. Also, my regular evening glass of wine had turned into two, which I thought maybe was not the best trend.

Just as I planned to make these changes, I came across the Whole30 diet. It is finslippy's fault, but the timing of when I read her account was a little too, um, timely, and it stuck in my craw. My craw, I said. So, I read up on Whole30 and thought, these people are lunatics. Maybe I should try it! And then I tried to ignore it, but for some reason I couldn't (Did I mention my craw?), so then I enlisted Jimmy to talk me out of it. "I heard about this ridiculous diet. Can you believe it?? They say you can't even cook with olive oil! Crrrrrrraaazy!!!" (A cut to the heart, there - remember he's half Italian? I never saw so much olive oil before I'd met him.) And just like the wry, sarcastic, funny man that my Jimmy is, he joined me in my quest for ridiculing those health nut crackpots and put my mind to rest once and for all by saying, "You should do it! I'll cook!"

Wait, he said what?

Yeah. He's supportive like that. What-ev, I know.

And then we commenced a visit to Whole Foods to stock up on coconut oil, coconut spray, coconut milk, and olives. Oh, and chicken sausage. Who doesn't love a diet that involves chicken sausage?

If you want to know about Whole30, you should look through their website. Essentially, though, it is a no sugar, no alcohol, no grains, no legumes, no dairy, no gluten, no weighing, no cheating lifestyle cleanse. It's a paleo-style diet, which I hear is all the rage, but I had never heard of such a thing when I first looked into it.

I made it the first ten days without cheating, not even a tiny bit. I felt fantastic, had a ton of energy, my chronic itchy skin that I've had since Lena was born almost four years ago disappeared, and I lost four pounds. Also, I no longer woke up in the morning craving an entire pan of brownies, and that is not hyperbole. Why I cheated over the weekend, then, I couldn't really tell you. Maybe something to do with the fact that our only shower and bath currently has no fixtures and looks like it belongs in The Shining, all because I mentioned to the handyman last week that the shower was dripping a bit? It's been a little stressful. But I paid for cheating, because it only made my stomach hurt, and I spent the next two days itching again.

I don't plan to eat 100% paleo-style 100% of the time for the rest of my life, at least, not if I can help it. But I am trying to teach myself a new way to eat, a new way to look at food, and to hopefully get healthy and kick-start my metabolism along the way. I am also hoping it will help me with the recurring mild depression I've dealt with since high school, because otherwise I believe I'm very close to beginning anti-depressants, and I have a feeling if I do that I will never NOT be taking them. But so far, I see definite improvement.

Also, I should make it clear, I am still trying to exercise every day, if I can. I'm trying to make up with you, Jillian, really I am.

So, as the Whole30 plan is very adamantly NO CHEATING, I may add ten days to the end of this run, basically starting my 30 days over again. I haven't really decided, yet. But I'm hoping that blogging about the whole business will help. If you're on the same or similar plan, I'd love to hear about it.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Whadd'ya mean I can't cook with olive oil?!?!?! :-/