Friday, August 19, 2011

Morro Bay

I know, I know. It's another Hipstamatic shot. What can I say? I am very sorry, though, that it isn't better. I took several photos when I shot this, and wasn't fully satisfied with any of them, and now the opportunity to capture what I felt there is gone.

This is a photo of one of the hundreds of calla lilies growing rampant behind my husband's family's home in Morro Bay. Or rather, their former home. As soon as Jimmy wrapped up his work season last May, we packed up the girls and made the 3 1/2 hour drive (without stopping, but remember, we have toddlers, so make that more like a 5 hour drive) north up the coast to the little lazy beachside town. I say "lazy" because on top of the pace being shockingly (and wonderfully) slower than our normal pace in Los Angeles, something in the air up there always makes us feel lazy, as though there really is nothing more important in the whole world than finishing the crossword puzzle before noon and making sure we've bought enough wine for dinner.

We love our visits up there. My in-laws are a fun -okay, wonderfully crazy- bunch, and they adore having the kids around (more than having us around, as we are often told), and I know I always feel a huge relief getting out of the city for a bit and into a town that can't even be bothered to put up stop signs in most intersections. Okay, the stop sign thing makes me crazy. But you get the idea.

Well, this was our last visit to that home. Jimmy's dear Grammie passed away early last year, and this year the situation was such that his Grampa needed to move into assisted living, so his mom, who had been devoting all of her time to taking care of them, moved on to be with her granddaughters in Sacramento.

It felt sort of like losing home base for that family, I think. Although probably nothing felt more like that than losing his Grammie. This certainly put on a finishing touch, though.

We will still be visiting up there as much as we can, to see Grampa and also Jimmy's aunt and cousin, but we know it will be different. We're not sure that we will ever have the same family gatherings there that we used to. Our dream has always been to have a vacation home in that town or the next, and although that feels pretty ridiculously unattainable right now, we're still dreaming of it. Maybe one day. And it will be covered in calla lilies.

No comments: