Friday, December 14, 2012

I had planned...




I think it was Christmas two years ago that I drew a picture of my family's old house for my parents, made prints for myself and my brothers, then wrapped them all up and stuck them under the tree.  The house was just a suburban tract home, I suppose, but it never once felt that way when I was growing up there.  Mom and Dad bought it before it was built, made all of the style and layout choices, then proceeded to have three children and raise them there until each of us moved out.  They lived there for forty years before finally moving to a nicer community further out from the city just, what?  Three years ago?  Four years ago?  I'm already losing track.

It was time for them to move on, but it was painful to say goodbye to the old house.  I studied art and set design in college, so I put my drafting and sketching skills to work to draw a picture of it because I was trying to say goodbye.  And then I really was surprised at what that picture seemed to mean to them

Since then I've thought off and on about opening an online shop so I could do the same for other people.  Mom and Dad always call when someone they know has seen their picture and asked if I would draw a picture of other homes, so I assumed there was a least a little bit of polite interest.  Then a couple of weeks ago it seemed like I had extra time on my hands, and with Christmas on the horizon I thought, why not?  I logged on to Etsy to see how easy it would be to set up a shop.  (It is super easy.)  I uploaded a picture of my parents' house drawing, set a limit on sales for Christmas, and posted the link here and on facebook.  Then I hid under blanket for a few days.

And orders came in.  Enough orders that I've reached my limit for Christmas delivery.  Then Evie was sick for a week, I found out I'd misread Lena's school schedule and she's on minimum days all this week and next, and suddenly I was swamped.

I wanted to be writing here much more these past couple of weeks.  I have SO missed being in this space.  There is a file on my desktop of photos for the Christmas Wishlist post I wanted to make, and a tab open on my browser for the book recommendation I'm dying to give to you.  I wanted to spend as much time as possible with the Christmas tree lit, drinking hot coffee, listening to holiday music, and writing.

Impossible.  I'm sorry it hasn't happened, and a little disappointed.  On the other hand, I am so pleased.  I can't believe how lucky I've been to be spending my time lost in drawing again.  I'm tired, a bit stressed, and a somewhat physically sore, but mentally, creatively, and emotionally I feel so refreshed.  While I work I pray that my customers will be satisfied with their finished pieces, because I am enjoying this so very much.  I feel genuinely happy.

I don't know how much I'll be around this space over the next couple of weeks.  Absolutely I will be here again to wish you a merry Christmas.  But I did want to stop by to say I miss you very much, and I will definitely be back on a regular basis again in January.

And thank you, ever so much, for all of your support.

xo


melanie










1 comment:

lisa said...

I am so happy that things are taking off with this, Melanie! :) Merry Christmas!!