Monday, December 17, 2012

with us




Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and they shall call his name Emmanuel,
(which means, God with us).
Matthew 1:23

Like so many others I'm having a difficult time processing the events of last Friday.  As I kissed my sleeping babies that night, I could only think of the parents who couldn't do the same, and my heart broke for the hundredth time, just as it did again this morning when I hugged my babies goodbye and sent them off to school.  My arms ache for my own children, and they ache for the mothers and fathers who lost theirs.  How can there be any comfort for this?

There can't.  Can there be?  I don't know.  I don't know, but I am trying.  And I can't presume to know what could comfort a grieving parent, but I know for myself that I am trying to find comfort in three words:  God with us.  The essence of Christmas:  God with us.  An incomprehensible fact:  God with us.

God with us.

God with us.

God with us.


(God, be with us.)










No comments: