Thursday, January 17, 2013

hair


me on a good hair day minute second

This is neither here nor there, but I've just discovered She Lets Her Hair Down, and am drooling over photos of incredible, gorgeous hairstyles.  As you may or may not have noticed, I have long, unrelentingly straight, brown hair.  End of story.  I like to imagine that it could be amazing, thick, wavy, and perfect, but unfortunately I don't live in a magazine or a vampire movie (at least, I'm not aware that I do), and also, I was raised with boys.  I was not allowed to use nail polish in any area of the house but in my bedroom with the door shut, and even that elicited much wrath.  ("It smells!  IT SMELLS!!!")  The fact that I can operate a hair dryer and apply inexpensive mousse is already just short of a miracle.

Also, I don't spend much money on my hair, because, hello, it costs money.  Also, I don't do expensive hair justice on a daily basis.  Also, I live in Los Angeles, and if I go for a "cheap" wash, cut, and blow dry, I walk out $80 poorer.  Also, talking about my appearance makes me grumpy.  I'm working on that part.


a candid shot of my hair on Christmas Eve.  And now there is a 50/50 chance that right this instant my hairstylist mother-in-law is packing up a brush and some hair product to FedEx to me.  I love you, Carrol!  I promise I already own a brush AND hair product and will use them more often! 

ANYWAY.  What was I saying?  Oh, this hair blog.  I'm in love.  I'm inspired to be better.  I'm super tempted to do this, but am sure I need to be a gorgeous fairy waif to pull it off.  And I can't quit staring longingly at this, because it is pretty much exactly what I wanted my wedding hair to look like, except Jimmy and I only barely managed an event just this side of elopement so I was lucky that I had any help with my hair at all and I have not forgotten that fact.  Still.  I'm drooling, and scrolling through hairstyle photos like never before.

I know, I know:  look at me, all girly-like.  Just don't get used to it.  I still can't operate a curling iron properly and don't own more than a sample-size of hairspray.  But I can pin a photo of pretty hair to my Pinterest boards, oh yes I can!














3 comments:

findingmagnolia said...

First, I really like your hair. I'm not a fan of fussy hair. Second, I LOVE the Lula bob. I think I'll ask my stylist if it will work with the cowlick in my bangs. Or maybe I can leave the bangs sideswept and just do the rest? My current bob is great, but it needs a little something. I mean, she cut it just like Keira Knightley's hair, and yet I don't look like Keira Knightley! I really don't know why it didn't work.

Luckily, I live in the unhip part of SF, and my hair stylist down the street does an amazing job and only charges $45 for wash, cut, and style. (The Midwestern girl in me still cringes at $45, but this ain't no Super Cuts.) My big issue is finding the time to go get it cut. I'd also love to get a little fun color, but I think I'll be visiting Walgreen's and my own bathroom for that.

Anonymous said...

Look at your eyes on that first picture! (I know, the post is supposed to be about your hair...) But sometimes you say you don't know where Evie gets her eyes. Um, look in the mirror?? :-)
--Becky

melanie said...

Mary - thanks! And isn't the Lula bob SO tempting?? I'm really close to doing it (it will grow out, right?), but yeah, pretty sure I won't look like the model OR Keira Knightly afterward. Oh well.

And Becky - I know, I know, but her eyes are SO blue! :)