Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Jeannie & Eric - interior



When I first moved to Los Angeles I lived in this house rent-free for a solid year thanks to our (now) very dear friends Jeannie and Eric.  They barely knew me at all when they invited me to stay - I was just a kid about to graduate college with no idea what to do next, a student of one of their grad school buddies - and I don't think any of us imagined I'd live with them for so long, or that one day Eric would be standing on a beach in Malibu officiating my wedding.  I'll never be able to pay them back for everything they did for me that first year in Los Angeles, or in the ten years since.  But I do try to offset the expense by helping them choose paint colors now and then, or holding Jeannie's coffee while she shops, or texting her classy photos of camo-lingerie or unintended visual double-entendres on children's board game boxes whenever I come across them.  And I think she appreciates the effort.

I took this photo a couple of weeks ago on one of those days when I ditched my to-do list in favor of visiting real live people.  Life had been building up to that suffocation point, again, and hanging out with Jeannie was like rolling down the window of a baking hot car and letting the sea breeze in.  For me, this photo is an almost perfect depiction of what I feel when I'm with them:  calm, open, solid, light, and a bit like home.  I know Jeannie doesn't always think her house is offering all of those things, but it always does for me.






No comments: