Friday, April 5, 2013

favorite thing of the week - extended addition + an actual blog entry. really.



Spring Break, man.  Spring Break isn't kidding around.  While we've had an exceptionally lovely two weeks, trying to get back to regular life is making me feel a little bit like Sleeping Beauty rubbing her eyes after a hundred-year nap, wondering what just happened?  Where am I?  And really, what's the hurry?  You know, Prince Reality, another five or ten years never hurt anyone.

Where was I?  Oh yes, Spring Break:  most of our break was spent with my parents who graciously left thirteen inches of snow to visit us in our "chilly" 65'-75' partly-sunny Los Angeles springtime.  In the past, when the girls were smaller, we could easily spend an entire visit holed up in our tiny house, watching TV and taking turns putting babies down for naps.  The girls don't have so many naps to work around anymore, though.  No bottles, no bibs, and almost no diapers at all, either, so we compensated for all those other homebound visits by hitting the Getty Museum, The Grove, the Space Shuttle Endeavour, Disneyland, and Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles, not to mention also celebrating Jimmy's birthday AND Easter.  It was fantastic.  And although it's no surprise that as a result we are all exhausted, I know that the memory of exhaustion will fade quickly.  Those memories of exploring LA with Grandma and Grandpa?  Those will stick around forever.
















Still, though, today I am tired.  Tired, unmotivated, and irritated that my jeans are too tight after all that holiday-ing.  I'm hoping for a fresh start when the girls go back to school on Monday, but am also feeling overwhelmed, because, you know, laundry.  Laundry, dishes, groceries, vacuuming, and etc.  Or maybe that's just the tired talking.  It has been extra chatty lately.



Anyway, because I feel like I have little to offer you today, I hope you'll check out my Favorite Thing of the Week this week.  Actually, it's two things - two posts from a blog, The Actual Pastor, introduced to me recently by my sister-in-law Dawn, whom (again) I haven't even thanked personally, yet.  (Thank you, Dawn.)

The posts are both about parenting.  First up is a letter to parents of young children.  I needed this, because, well, if you haven't caught on, yet, I am feeling pretty tired.

Second, a post about motherhood and body image.  I needed this, too, because, well, obviously.

More from me next week.  I promise to make an extra-large pot of coffee before I sit down to write.  I do hope you'll be back, too.  In the meantime, enjoy your weekend!


melanie




















No comments: